Thursday 22 May 2008

Fast+Fresh

Slight prologue to my next post. Level camp will be updated soon, don't worry.


Stops.

(Stage is dark. Boy walks in and sits in the middle of stage on chair, where spotlight is focused.)

Boy: *Sigh*

(Another spotlight lights up, revealing a similiarly dressed person, standing near the side of the stage with back facing the audience.)

Stranger: It’s been a long time since we talked. Feeling down?

(Gives a small smile)
Boy: Sure has.

(Smile disappears)
Boy: Why ask? You know how I feel.

(Nods knowingly)
Stranger: Of course I do. But I thought you were getting along fine with her?

(Looks down)
Boy: I’d always thought that way, but apparently, I’m not even sure what she thinks of me. She could hate me for all I know.

Stranger: It’s hard, I know - to like someone, and to have to stand and simply watch from the corner, unable to say anything to her.

(Looks back up)
Boy: I freeze the moment I see her, and the only thing that’s in my mind is “What do I say without sounding like an idiot?”

Stranger: It’s not often that you get that feeling, since you don’t have much of a problem with conversations.

Boy: But yet she’s the one person that makes me tongue-tied.

Stranger: She makes your heart beat faster, your breathing faster, your thoughts slower, your mouth dry, your palms wet.

Boy: That’s cliché.

Stranger: I know. But clichés are what they are because they’re true, aren’t they?




Female Voice: Bugis.
(Whole stage lights up, except for the Stranger’s side where the spotlight is off. People shuffle on and off the stage. There are people standing holding onto poles and sitting beside the boy in a row.)

(After the people move on and off the stage, the whole stage is dark again, except for the boy, and another similiarly dressed stranger appears at the other side of the stage, back facing the audience.)

Stranger: Why don’t you tell her?

(Looks surprised, stares directly at Stranger for the first time)
Boy: Are you crazy? You know I can’t do that.

Stranger: And exactly why not? If you’re feeling so beat up about it, let it out then.

Boy: Th-that’s just mad! I’ll be laughed at; My parent’s would surely have something to say about this. And most of all…

Stranger: She’ll avoid you?

(Boy keeps silent, turning to look down at the floor)

Stranger: I still think you should tell her. Let her know where you’re coming from.

Boy: It doesn’t solve anything.

(Pause again)

Stranger: Well, no point continuing in a stalemate. Why not ask yourself this - Do you really like her?

Boy: We’ve went through this haven’t we? As a friend, definitely. But beyond that I really have no idea.

Stranger: After all, you’re just 15 - You wouldn’t exactly have that much experience of being in love.

Boy: But one thing that I do know would be friendship, and somehow I can feel - Just feel that I want our relationship to take a step further than that. I do like her, and more than just a friend.

Stranger: Yet how far beyond is the question, isn’t it?

Boy: And that was where I left it, wasn’t it?

Stranger: You’ve left out one thing.

Boy: I have?

Stranger: Haven’t you considered the possibility of this as not really love… but simply a crush?

Boy: Well, I…

Stranger: You have haven’t you?

Boy: Not much point hiding it anyway - Yes I have, and I dismissed it.

Stranger: Don’t you think you ignored it, rather, just to make yourself believe that you’ve truly fell in love with somebody you simply like more than a friend?

Boy: No. I don’t think so.

Stranger: Aren’t you ignoring it already? Why not give it some thought?

Boy: (Raising his voice) No, I already thought about it over and over - It just isn’t that simple!

Female voice: Tanjong Pagar.

(People shuffle on and offstage yet again, and after the lights dim, the stranger appears to be somewhere else again.)

Stranger: (Mockingly) Getting all riled up, aren’t we?

(Silence)

Boy: Shouldn’t I sort out my thoughts by talking to you? Because right now I don’t really see why we have to keep up with this.

Stranger: It’s not really my choice here - Remember the smoking commercials?

Boy: What?

Stranger: Step one - admitting you have a problem.

(Silence. Boy turns away from the Stranger for a while, before looking back at him again.)

Boy: Fine! So what if I ignored it?

Stranger: There we go… Now step two - Seek professional assistance by dialling 1800-I-talk-to-myself.

Boy: Been there, done that… Step three’s talking to my parents, which is not what I am going to do.

Stranger: I do have a step four, although it wasn’t in the commercial…

Boy: For five minutes, can you just talk straight to the point?

Stranger: A crush doesn’t mean that your feelings are just a whole manifestation of lies and fake emotions you know. You’re fifteen. It’s normal. Frankly it would be a little disturbing if you don’t like any girl at all.

Boy: You know, for the first time throughout this time, it seems like you make sense.

Stranger: Crushes are just something almost every teenager goes through, and you shouldn’t be ashamed of it.

Boy: Well, finally we agree on something.

Stranger: Yes, and a good thing it is. Not much time left to chat, is there?

Female Voice: Queenstown.

(People shuffle on and off stage, Stranger changes position, back facing the audience. Lights dim again.)

Boy: Surely enough to answer this - So now what? What do I do? It still feels hard bottling all this up.

Stranger: Good lord, boy - You’re really slow aren’t you? Did you forget to check the calendar these past few days?

Boy: Wait a minute… Lunar New Year was last week, and today’s a Thursday. That means-

(Lights turn on again. Boy looks around, and sees that all the people on stage are carrying boxes of chocolate, reading and writing pink and heart shaped cards.)

Boy: Are you saying that I should…

Stranger: (Nodding head calmly) Absolutely.

Boy: (Stands up and exclaims loudly, throwing up his arms) But its 7.30am! I’ve got to go to school!

Stranger: The convenience store you pass by on your way to school is named that way for a reason. I hope you brought the money from your red packets.

Boy: Why you are one smart-

Female Voice: (Cutting off the boy) Buona Vista.

(Lights light up the moment the voice starts speaking. Boy picks up his bag, and runs offstage in a hurry.)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home