Saturday 2 February 2008

What My Chinese New Year Lacks.

What My Chinese New Year Lacks.

I haven't really told anyone from school, but my mother has been hospitalised for a week. She had some complications from her last operation and her small intestine was affected somehow, and so for the past few days I've been living under the care of my aunties' and grandparents' care, who are conviniently and thankfully living just next door.

She was admitted last Sunday/Monday midnight, and I was stupidly sleeping through the whole time even when the ambulance came. Amazingly I had not heard a single thing and didn't know anything was wrong till I was woken up at the usual time of 6am by my aunty. I was a little moody the rest of the day, but tried not to let it get to me, since it being a Monday was bad enough.

I was hoping to be able to find time to visit her on Tuesday, and that plan couldn't have gone any worse. Sometime on Monday/Tuesday midnight, I woke up and discovered my temperature was practically burning. There goes my visit.

I tried to ignore it and only gave up when I put on my tie. The difference in comfort that piece of cloth wrapped around a neck was shocking. I fell back to sleep almost immediately and saw a doctor late in the morning. The rest of the day was dull, uncomfortable and basically just plain boring.

Thankfully, I was able to recover by the next day, and was well enough to go to school, albeit a little groggy. Still, it beat having to stay at home and worry about schoolwork - Somehow you feel the stress of school even more when you're at home.

However, I still had no chance to meet my mother, and was pretty busy till Saturday. It was then I had discovered I had been living without her for one whole week, and that I really... missed her. Also, that was the day when she would have her minor operation, and would probably be my last chance to see her before she undergoes that operation.

For some painfully annoying reason I was sick yet again, but this time I dragged myself to the hospital to finally meet her after 6 long days. I felt so much better just being able to see her, and talked for a very long time, a few hours on end. It really is weird thinking about who was the one who needed the visit more - Her or me?

I poured out the troubles I had for the past few days, and the worries for the next week. She answered them in the same warm, comforting way she always had - "Don't worry." "Just try your best!"

Her operation went well, but now the only thing I'm worried about is whether she'll be able to come back for Chinese New Year. Hopefully she'll be fine by then, and we can eat a reunion dinner without having to take turns to talk on the phone. That, and I'll pass the common test tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home