Saturday 5 January 2008

DHSOlympics 2008//Aftermath

DHSOlympics 2008
(Editted 7 Jan, thanks to Sara for reminder of some details... Editted parts in red.)

This is one post where I have no idea how and where to start. A blogpost longer than "Life in Review" can't do justice to something so significant in my life. I know I won't be satisfied with what I've posted even if I edit it a million times, but at least there'll be something here to remind me of all that I've went through.

Okay, before we really start, I've done this blogpost 3 times over so far, first one with random memories, second with day by day reflections, third with overall reflection. I wasn't happy with a single one of them. So right now, I'll go along with no plans, no structure and no idea what I'm talking about at all.

Let's start with the preparation. Most of my time was spent on doing the banner while pretending that I'm actually very busy. The banner started off looking quite simple. I thought it was really quite okay then, and so did a few people I asked. Ms Tiong only requested me to make a few changes, but I ended up experimenting even more with the design and changed more stuff. 7 more versions later, we finally have the end product that hangs proudly in the wall. That is, until Monday when we take it down. I feel a little sad now, seeing $400 go to waste after all this, but like all the SFs, it has done its job.

The prepartion, be it for my own or other events, were something that I'd a love-hate relationship with. Everyday would be a day with mixed feelings, knowing that I will probably be spending the whole day doing the strangest things, lugging things from the SC room to the canteen, from Parkway to School, colouring using half dry markers, or cutting up strips of paper for not-even-He-knows-what. People who have the slightest hint of sanity in their minds would not do this for their holiday.




Yet we knew ourselves that one thing could keep us going. These boring and tiring tasks were made enjoyable by the friends that I knew I will be meeting, and thus each day our sense of togetherness. We worked hard to support each other regardless of our event, and didn't even think of getting anything in return. I don't get many chance to feel the sense of teamwork, but this has truly been a great opportunity.

The short break somewhat organised by Mr Yeo was definitely needed. We went to Suntec to watch Enchanted. Still remember when some guy who tried to sell fake charity tickets had tried to follow me from City Hall to Suntec, talking and walking faster than me. The movie was great, and turned into a talking point for us who went on that day, and two crazy people set up a certain fan club. I'm not posting any names, since there are another three equally insane people who joined the club a little later. Or maybe we were all just drunk.



The mentors helped immensely with our proposals, easily pointing out potential flaws. Yet their helping hands even extended to the execution of the events on the Orientation dates, and they were always ready with moral support and advice. The Orientation would definitely not have gone so well if it wasn't for their hard work, so kudos to them too for all their help!



Teachers, of course, deserve a large portion of their credit too. They put up with our tardiness and indecisive attitudes (well, maybe just mine), and never hestitated to correct us. We looked to them for support in a few crucial moments, but they never led us the "wrong" way by spoon feeding us. They threw us into the deep end of the pool - But that was only because they knew we could swim. And what if we didn't? We learnt.



The first day past quite uneventfully, but I guess we all seen at the debrief that most of us needed to step up to every challenge that faced us. If there were none in our way, then do what I just mentioned that we've been doing that makes us a committee - we support each other again.



Day 2 brought up everyone's moods, with Olympics going through relatively smoothly. I felt very touched to see that both SFs and students were truly having a good time, giving it their all in every single game that they play. The morale reached a new peak that day, and we all had fun at the different activities on that day, so it ended of pretty smoothly except for the shirt collection. Which thankfully got setteled the next day.

I scrambled around on Day 3, either getting stuff from the SC room, giving out shirts or moving around the canteen. I was frantic then, even trying to figure out what I was doing sometimes. But I'm very glad that it all fell together with MAJOR help from many people such as Mdm Loh and the year 4s. Concert definitely fun too, and I couldn't care less about getting muscle aches on my legs from At the Beginning, so I jumped like a madman through the choruses.

The hard part was cleaning up. But although most of us were really tired on that day, we got everything into the rubbish bags quickly. I swear, if Xingqi hadn't started playing the Happy Working Song during Dinner decoration or clean-up, I would've lost my mind completely.



In short, the orientation was amazingly fun, albeit tiring and long. But I'm definitely proud to say that I've been through one of the biggest events that happens in DHS, and will remember this for a long time to come.


Sara:
You were a great IC from the start of planning till now! Thank you
very much for all the hard work, and ending up with the white hair and pimples xD . Don't kill me just because people have read about it here. But our job's not done yet! There's still an outing to plan...

Gillian:
Hey fellow aI/C! It's been fun working together for the orientation. You did a great job for concert and ended off the whole thing nicely. Don't forget the loooong walk from the 48 bus stop and the other crazy times that you went through during orientation. Hope you had a great mini birthday celebration at school that day!


Joyce:
I didn't actually do much for Dinner, but Joyce did a scarily amazing job on the proposal from scratch. So many thanks to you if you read this!!! It was quite hard to pull through on the day itself, but I'm glad we were able to settle everything on that day to set the right tone for the Year 1s for the rest of the night.

Xin Tian:
I have alot to thank you and apologise for in this orientation! The booklet reprint, the shirt editting and more, all these are things that I really must say sorry for, but it has been great to have your help, and very fun too! Haha photoshop is a great tool for any event!

Iris:
Thank God you came in to join the committee. I may be able to use photoshop, but hand me a paper and pencil and I'll ask for a computer. You did amazingly well for the video and logos, so many thanks once again for the enthusiasm and humour your provided time to time!

Tong Wei:
The drunkard. You put in a lot of effort into your telematch, and we could all see on the day itself that everything had paid off. And I always thought you were the too-cool-for-you type. And like how you thought I was serious and quiet, we both got proven wrong. Badly.

Shuqi:
The crazy auntie who guards the SC Room. I've seen you running everywhere on all three days passing things around, and helping out in anything that needs an extra hand. Thanks for the large amount of effort put into this, and sorry for making you worry about the SC Room key when you pass it to me =X

Cheryl:
Icebreakers was really really fun on the first day! Clearly could see that the Year 1s loved the games that you've prepared, and you deserve much of the credit for helping them make the first step to know each other better. School tour was pretty good too, as the Year 1s got warmed up rather quickly for that.

Cynthia:
Great job for school tour! It obviously worked very well since most of the Year 1s got to know the school easily, as I asked a few people on the second day whether they wanted someone to bring them to their classrooms, but surprisingly not a single one needed me to usher them. You've stayed pretty cool and calm unlike most of us through the orientation too, which is something I should learn some time.

Kiat Shing:
The only other boy with me that went through the whole thing together. I guess we got to know each other pretty well after all this hectic planning and execution, and you surprised me quite a bit with the success from each of your events. We gotta watch I Am Legend ASAP!

Su Mei:
Olympics 1 was very very fun! The students got hyped through the rest of the day. Also saw you bringing up the mood of the students during both the opening ceremony and the telematch itself. Just remember to stop saying that you screwed up, because you absolutely didn't.


Joshua:
Although you weren't in the committee yet during the planning stages, you helped out alot for Concert, and also in your attached class. Many thanks for the effort put into this event!









































Aftermath

Who says that post ends here?

It's saturday, and I just opened my eyes with the sun shining into my room already. I wondered to myself just how long I've slept. 10 hours? Maybe even 11? I slept at 12.30 the night before, so I could just get up and prepare for lunch already. I felt quite energetic after a seemingly long sleep, and put on my glasses to look at the clock. Holy...

9.38 am. That's not right. I've used up more energy than I ever needed for 2 weeks in one day and I wake up to discover I just needed a measly 9 hours of sleep to make up for it? My body clock should get repaired sometime.

Then I walk over to my phone and check for messages, which is a habit I developed over the planning days. Then it hit me that I do not need to make sure that there're no meetings for that day, on or offline, and nobody will ask me to change the colour of the running man on the banner or shift the words of the shirt back.

The rest of the day just felt so boring. I lazed at home, watching tv, bathing, watching tv, eating, watching tv, playing... Did I forget watching tv? Something just felt so wrong here, and I knew the asnwer to that myself. I had not done my homwork I miss orientation.

I'm hoping I'll be given the chance to continue the race next year, despite all the screw ups I caused. Till then, I'll keep this wonderful memories deep in my heart. And screw up another year at school!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home