Wednesday 12 May 2010

High Enough

High Enough

As I woke up today, I didn't feel the familiar longing for a few more precious minutes for my comfy cot, but rather snapped into a surprisingly keen mood. Despite fighting insomnia the night before as a result of undue worries that I had no explanation for, the daily fatigue that I had prepared to parley with never made it for its regularly scheduled appointment. A good thing too - I never had the time for it today.


The whole morning was a painful drag for me. My nails hammered repeatedly onto any convenient surface, with my mind wishing that the clock would feel the pressure to keep up with my incessant drumming. I spent my time gazing skyward as well imagining a paintbrush in my hand that could sweep away the moodier grays that seemed to encroach upon our skies with a cheerful blue. The weather toyed with my hopes the whole day, but at last gave way to a miraculously perfect setting for my reason for coming to school today.

Being in an agreeable mood, the fluffy white pillows in the sky did their job in shielding us from the burn of the sun, but never once succumbed to the temptation in traveling earthward. My creator had heard my prayer; My provider painted my sky with all the right shades. The perfect setting was miraculous.

Below these tranquil arrangements, I could taste the spirit that saturated the air. Tight competition was held everywhere, and while watching and supporting my fellow Homaknights, I couldn't help but admire and appreciate the other houses' tenacity and encouragement. The players themselves showed their grit through their play, reserving no efforts in their goal of reaching for victory shared with their fellow house members as well.

Blue, Red, Green and Orange were dancing about before me, and I felt so proud to be part of this vibrant kaleidoscope. It had been a long time since I felt that sensation where my blood flooded with enough adrenaline, giving me the irrationally unrestrained desire to express my excitement. It had been a long time since I felt such a great high, to truly revel in the energy that everyone emitted. And after awhile, after watching the heart we pour into every shot and every play, neither house nor colour had mattered to be. Dunman High was my high.

The Male Finals Basketball match drilled a clear message into my mind. The heartstopping game had been drawn out several times as neither team felt satisfied for a conclusion written by their opponent. The sheer length of the match was mind-boggling, and I saw how so many players endured cramps and pains that made even Chun Seng scream like a prepubescent schoolgirl for their house. And despite being floored by their physical limits, they continue to scream encouragements at their team mates who carry on the stalemate.

I would be lying if I said I had enjoyed myself - it would be an understatement. The experience was almost religious, changing my perceptions of Senior High as a whole. I wasn't simply awed by my own house, but every single one coming together today to show what Dunmanians can truly be made of. After today, these would be the proud images that form in my mind whenever I declare myself a Dunman High Senior High student.

As I rode home in a comfortable van, courtesy of Kuan Liang's kindness, I heard the splatters of raindrops slowly starting to fall from the sky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home