Wednesday 23 December 2009

Christmas Presents

Christmas Presents


The winter solstice came silently two days ago. It was the reversal of the shortening of days and the lengthening of nights, and marked the apex of cold winter's reign. On the same day two days ago, I was having too much fun with peers to notice.


Recent days gave me some time to reminisce of my days of distinct immaturity and a passion for simple fun. December was my favourite among the twelve months (come to think of it, it still is!). The other eleven were normally spent in wanting for the the last, where promises of gifts, food, relaxation and more gifts awaited my 135cm frame.

In often times, my imagination collided with my hopes and wishes, and I'd dream of getting toys costing at least 3 figures, taking overseas trips to places whose names I couldn't pronounce, and having something to contribute to conversations revolving around the most lavish of gifts, the most mindblowing of vacations.

In often times, I was disappointed. Santa never really received any of the letters I'd crafted. None of my wishes seemed up to making the journey to the frosty north, leaving my Christmases cold with the chill of heartbreak. Cold that couldn't be chased away regardless of the endless packs socks and underwear that had become my yuletide staple year after year.

Now that I've had the time to think about my Christmas wish this year, it's hard not to remember my trip to Chiang Mai. Mushroom hunting, trekking and interacting with some of the most adorable humans that the world has never known made its mark on my perceptions. Their appreciation of the plentiful beauty they lived in had caught my wonder. The "Villagey guy", as we came to know him, pulled toys from the otherwise boring greenery that we blindly ignored - Stalks turned into bubble sticks that oozed with the soapy liquids waiting to be fulfilled and take flight as translucent, spherical rainbows; Leaves that nature intended to be the only kind of party poppers that wouldn't cause a mess after release.

Equally impossible to leave my consciousness is the Hong Kong trip. My journey at Hong Kong had encouraged my timid bravery in reaching out to new friends, and opening up my plans to find a whole new love and freedom for the first time was a breath of much-needed fresh air. The warmth I'd received in reciprocation of my own is a constant reminder that my mind has only fathomed so little of the reality built around me. Till now I continue to miss the presence of friends who have touched me deeply despite the brevity of contact.

The topic of newfound friendships had brought me back to my PEA committee as well. Our mad late nights that were spent in preparation had did their job not only logistically but spiritually as well. Time granted us the opportunity to feed off each other's strengths and poke fun at each other's weaknesses - all in good humour of course. The colour we injected into each other's presence had cascaded towards our level as a whole, and gave our whole event the life we truly appreciated.

These thoughts that I was suddenly flooded with had then given me the epiphany I was hoping for. For this Christmas, the toys and gifts that I'd so desperately wanted before didn't possess the same luster or attraction it once had. My gifts had come so silently and beautifully in the most perfect of forms. I've been given all that I have needed, more than what I'd hoped, way beyond anything I have ever expected. For Christmas this year, I've been given friendships to last till many more Christmases.


Gifts are all around,
Love is all there is.


Merry Christmas to all. Hope you've already received your fair share of gifts too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home