Tuesday 8 December 2009

Falling for Hong Kong

Falling for Hong Kong

For six whole days, my ears had been given an unfamiliar but strangely enjoyable massage. Each Cantonese word carrying its own tone and passion sashayed through my mind. Although none of it had held any meaning, the tone and slur that always accompanied such a beautiful language had left me longing to hear more of it in spite of my inability. I can only smile when I listen to the conversations whirling around my consciousness, as I have no way of following it with any form of understanding. The best I can do is quietly appreciate the innate charm and sexiness that the language holds.

So many things had made me fall for Hong Kong in such a short period of time. The different buildings, old and new, all crowding in the same street can only be described as palette where the darker, mature browns, grays and muddy greens have already found their place alongside the brighter blues, reds and yellows. Hidden beneath homes are the infinite shops, cafes and local haunts that make up Hong Kong's famed streets. It was a wonder to behold, a concept that could barely fit within my narrow perception. Yet such a grand and awesome factor was the smallest of reasons why I forgot to pack my heart into my luggage to bring it with me back to Singapore.

I have my fellow dunmanians, both seniors and peers, to thank for this amazing trip as well. The Year 5s run on 100% enthusiasm, and are darn right proud of it. Their spontaneity, energy and constant excitement brought much needed freshness to the trip. My peers were there to keep it sane when needed as well, and they have my gratitude for that. Dunmanians were never meant to work alone, but in families - That much I have confirmed from this trip.

And then there's 3B. Schools, as most people say, are the second home of students. If so, then our classes would be our extended family in that home. I was blessed with a family of vibrance, epic fun, boundless joy, generous friendship and comforting warmth. Their smiles, jokes and attempts to make me talk more collectively made me feel a part of their class. Though my time during their lessons was short, no second lacked interest, and it is all thanks to the beautiful love that they surrounded me with. My only regret other than the lack of time spent together would be that I am sorely missing a group photo with them. Perhaps next time, we'd be more fortunate...

I cannot forget to mention the other students on this exchange program well. My new found friends hailing from faraway New Zealand and neighbouring Shanghai completed the magnificent week. The time spent with each other was often fleeting, but no less enjoyable than any other experience. Despite our differences on the surface, our cores were all one and the same in loving to enjoy life, eagerness in friendship and a united hate for homework. They are truly friends in every meaning of the word.

Of course, it'd be a sin to forget my buddy, Colin, and his family. Colin, Crystal, Aunty Corsina and Uncle Tom had been my gracious and generous hosts for the week, being my guardians, caretakers, providers and tour guides. My trip would never have been such a powerful memory if not for their unsurpassed hospitality. The four of them have given so much to me that I felt guilty for not being able to repay them with something significant. Hopefully, my extended family would make a trip to Singapore in the near future, and I'd have the chance to provide the same treatment.

Adjusting to Hong Kong came naturally. Sleeping in the bed Colin sacrificed for me, the buzz of the street was well within earshot. However, the engines and alarms of passing vehicles soon harmonised into an ever-evolving lullaby that accompanied me to slumber every passing night. The food there made their own play on my other senses, allowing me to discover another magical aspect of Hong Kong. There's so much to thank for even after the trip, as memories fade in and out of my consciousness as I go about a lazier life back in Singapore.



I have fallen deeply, madly, passionately in love with Hong Kong. And there is no way to forget it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home